Support Workers on Kynd benefit from insurance during services with NDIS Participants.

Insurance is only available for support services booked and paid for via Kynd's platform.

You will not have insurance cover for support booked, invoiced, or paid outside of Kynd.

General Advice Only

This information is a summary only.

All information provided here and your eligibility for cover, including for specific services and activities, is subject to insurance terms, inclusions, and exclusions, and Kynd's Terms of Use.

Kynd cannot provide general or personal financial or insurance advice. Full policy information, documents, and the policy terms and conditions are available for Support Workers on request.

Insurance Eligibility

Support Workers are responsible for paying the policy excess ($1,000 for each and every claim).

Coverage Terms

Insurance is provided by Keystone with policies secured by Certain Underwriters at Lloyds.

The coverage levels available for Support Workers using Kynd include: 

  • Group Public Liability ($20 Million)
  • Group Professional Liability ($5 Million)

In the unlikely event that a Member experiences personal injury or property damage by you during your services, under these policies, you may have protection from 3rd party claims.

This Policy is written on a "claims-made and notified basis".

This means the policy responds to claims first made against the insured during the policy period, and notified to the insurer during the policy period. For a claim to be covered, your policy must be in place at the time the allegation was made against you, and when the claim is lodged.

What’s Included?

Subject to eligibility, you will have insurance cover only for these specific services and activities:

Domestic assistance comprising:

  • changing sheets and towels
  • cleaning the kitchen, toilet and/or bathroom
  • cleaning windows, screens and/or fans
  • dusting
  • ironing
  • mopping floors
  • putting council bins out
  • removing rubbish
  • vacuuming
  • washing, drying and/or folding washing
  • grocery shopping
  • caring for pets

Exercise comprising:

  • hiking provided this is on a designated track with mobile phone reception and with water and first aid being carried
  • non-electric cycling or non-electric scootering provided a helmet is worn
  • non-contact sports such as tennis or golf
  • running
  • supervision, physical assistance and encouragement of a client who is following a fitness plan prepared by a fitness instructor/personal trainer
  • walking including bush walks, beach walks and hiking

Home maintenance comprising:

  • car washing
  • general gardening
  • green rubbish removal
  • handy worker – minor repairs
  • pool maintenance
  • safety and security
  • weeding and hedges

Personal care comprising:

  • assistance with eating and drinking including meal preparation
  • assistance with administering medication where training has been provided by a registered nurse
  • dressing
  • grooming 
  • oral hygiene
  • showering and bathing
  • toileting
  • incontinence and menstrual care support
  • assisting with the use of aids and appliances, hearing and communication devices
  • application of splints for non-broken bones
  • positioning, repositioning, moving and turning

Social and lifestyle support comprising: 

  • attending community programs
  • company at social activities
  • companionship
  • fishing from jetties or the shore
  • home administration
  • taking to appointments
  • taking shopping
  • transport including supporting with use of a mobility aids and equipment
  • assistance at work or with study
  • assistance while on holiday or travelling away from home

What’s Excluded?

Some services and activities are not covered. The insurance policy does not cover:

  • Any water-based activity including but not limited to surfing, kayaking, canoeing or swimming. This exclusion does not apply if the swimming is at a public swimming pool with a trained lifeguard in attendance or at a patrolled beach with the swimming taking place between the flags; or where the water-based activity is run and supervised by a reputable independent third party. However, the Insured must ensure that the reputable independent third party has their own public and products liability insurance for no less than $10,000,000. This needs to be done by obtaining a certificate of insurance from each reputable independent third party prior to the commencement of any water-based activity. For the avoidance of doubt, there is no cover if the Insured is simply hiring equipment from a third party. The water-based activity must be run and supervised by a reputable independent third party.
  • Any horse or motorcycle activity; electric bicycle, electric scooter activity; or
  • Any contact sport; or
  • Personal training. This exclusion does not apply to the supervision, physical assistance, and encouragement of a client that is following a fitness plan prepared by a fitness instructor/personal trainer; or
  • Camping. This exclusion does not apply to camping at a paid campground; or
  • Fishing from a boat or vessel unless it is operated by a reputable independent third party. However, the Insured must ensure that the reputable independent third party has their own public and products liability insurance for no less than $10,000,000. This needs to be done by obtaining a certificate of insurance from each reputable independent third party prior to the commencement of any fishing trip. For the avoidance of doubt, there is no cover if the Insured is simply hiring the boat or vessel from a third party. The fishing trip must be operated by a reputable independent third party; or
  • A client staying overnight at the Insured’s house; or
  • High-Intensity Support services as defined in the NDIS Practice Standards Skills Descriptors. For the avoidance of doubt, this exclusion does not apply to disability support workers who have prior written confirmation of completing either nationally accredited training, industry-recognised training or onsite training with a client’s allied health or medical professionals specific to the high-intensity support services to be delivered; with the exception of
  • Wound management or wound care unless the Insured is following a plan provided by a registered nurse. For the avoidance of doubt, this exclusion does not apply to accidents that may require immediate care.
  • Catheter care.

High-Intensity Support Terms

The NDIS defines two support levels for assistance with daily activities: 
Standard and High Intensity.

Support Workers providing High-Intensity Support services require more skills, experience, and specialised training.

As a Support Worker using Kynd, you are only eligible for insurance if providing High-Intensity Support (excluding Catheter Care which is not covered) if you have undertaken either:

  • Nationally accredited training; or 
  • Industry recognised training; or
  • Onsite training with a Client’s allied health or medical professionals; and,
  • You have ‘Proof of Competency’ for the specific High Intensity Support.

Note: You do not need to upload or send Proof of Competency to Kynd, but to provide High-Intensity Support and be eligible for cover, you must hold and provide this evidence on request.

Proof of Competency may be in the form of:

  • Statement of Attainment issued by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO); or,
  • a Certificate of Completion issued by a reputable industry-recognised training provider other than an RTO; or,
  • written proof from a registered allied health professional or medical professional.

If you do not meet these requirements, you are not eligible to provide High-Intensity Support.

High-Intensity Support Services

Details on each of these High-Intensity Support services are available below: 
NDIS Practice Standards: Skill Descriptors and the NDIS Pricing Arrangements.

High-Intensity Support services that fall under the above cover where eligible include:


  • Complex Bowel Care
  • Enteral Feeding and Management 
  • Severe Dysphagia Management
  • Tracheostomy and Ileostomy Care (including Stoma Care)
  • Ventilation
  • Subcutaneous Injection Diabetes Management
  • Epilepsy Management
  • High-Risk Seizures
  • Mealtime Preparation and Delivery 
  • Implementing a Positive Behaviour Support Plan (excludes plans with the authorised use of a restrictive practice)


  • Pressure Care and Wound Care (unless following a plan provided by a Registered Nurse) 
  • Urinary Catheter Care

Support Workers should familiarise themselves with all requirements before delivering services.

Run-off Insurance Coverage

As this insurance is on a 'claims made' basis it is good practice to have Run-Off Cover as this provides cover to you for any claims made after the main policy period. Under this new policy, Keystone (the insurer) has removed Unlimited Run-Off Cover as they no longer wish to provide this automatically or for unlimited periods of time. If you cease providing services via Kynd during the policy period, you will still have limited Run-Off Cover for the remainder of that policy period, though the extension of further Run-Off Cover in the future will be at the discretion of Keystone. Most insurers do not automatically include Run-Off Cover in Professional Indemnity policies. If the policies are ever discontinued with Keystone, at that time, this cover may or may not be issued.

No Cover Under the Influence

You will not be covered if you are under the influence of intoxicants or drugs.

This does not include pharmaceuticals prescribed by a registered medical practitioner.

Providing Driving Services

Your available insurance cover through Kynd does not cover any driving services.

As a Support Worker using Kynd, if providing transport services, you agree that your vehicle will be fully registered and covered by full Comprehensive and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurances and be deemed roadworthy under law and that your drivers licence will always remain valid.

If you have a person in your vehicle and they suffer injury, Compulsory Third Party insurance might assist. You can contact your CTP insurers for more details about coverage.

Driving a Members vehicle

If driving a Member’s vehicle, you will not be covered under Kynd’s insurance.

We highly recommend that you ask the Member to provide you with the written authorisation and confirmation that you have been added as an authorised party and driver on the Member's specific vehicle insurance policy, from their own automotive insurer. 

In the event that you may have accident, while driving the Member's vehicle, they and you might then need to consult the vehicle's insurer for insurance processes.

Administering Medication

If you are not trained and certified in medication assistance in a Certificate 3 or 4 (or any similar course), we recommend you complete relevant training. With that training, you will have cover for basic assistance with administering medications, as long as you don't prescribe them and you also follow the instructions given by the prescribing medical practitioner or issuing pharmacist.

If administering medication associated with providing High-Intensity Support services, check the relevant training and proof requirements specific to the relevant type of High-Intensity Support.

Can I Arrange Extra Cover?

If you’d like to obtain additional insurance for any specific scenarios, personal injury, special or excluded activities, income protection, life insurance or anything else… that’s your choice! We also recommend checking if you have extra insurance included or available via your super fund.